Wikipedia

Search results

Sunday 20 May 2018

Did Putin do it?

Sergei Skripal was discharged from hospital this week.  I have no idea about what state he is in or if he has had any residual effects from his poisoning.

What was interesting at the time, was that the poisoning made no sense.  Over the years, may Russians have died in mysterious, or not so mysterious circumstances.  So while some forms of arranging an accident of a spy may not be possible, others were.  And it is the use of a nerve agent that made me think that Russia was innocent.  Until this interview.


Russia has claimed innocence over many issues, this including the destruction of MH17, the accidental invasion of Crimea and the way that opponents of Putin keep dying.  All sorts of conspiracy theories have been put forwards by them.  And it is the way that the Russian Ambassador decided to cast doubt on the poisoning taking place which finally swung it for me.

However, while I do think that Russia is responsible for the poisoning, I still doubt that Putin himself was behind it.  To murder someone (or rather try to,) using a method that would be bound to antagonise the west in a manner that has caused a lot of collateral damage which will cause worldwide outrage is not something that the leader of a nation would do.

I do wish Sergei Skripal and his daughter the best. But, while I do not trust Putin, I do hope that an alternative leader who is worse does not replace him.

No comments:

Post a Comment