Wikipedia

Search results

Friday 3 June 2016

Staying in the EU, the least worst option


The argument about if we should stay or leave the European Union is to be settled this month and both sides are talking crap.  However I have figured out my view and I think we are #BetterIn.


I am not a huge fan of the EU.  I think that it needs less powers, not more, and when put to the vote, this is a view that has been present across Europe.  While not all agree with this, loads do and ideally, it would be great if all nations in the EU were offered more say in more or less EU integration.  It is not just that.  I do not like the way there still appears to be corruption within it (though that is much less than before as it is taking action on it).  Here are some of the reasons for my decision on this.

1; We will still have to pay into the EU or follow its laws - Of the nations of Western Europe, there are two who are out of the EU and do well.  Norway and Switzerland.  Norway has oil, and lots of it.  Switzerland has its financial sector.  Yes, they make chocolates, drugs and watches but it is a major banking sector.  But both pay into the EU, and neither have a say in how the money is spent.

2: Manufacturing - In the UK, we have falling supplies of oil and gas, our manufacturing sector is getting smaller and while Britain is great, our ability to export may not be enough to compete against China and other BRICS nations.  We are still making things, but we export a lot to Europe.  Cars for example are produced in the UK, but I can not see Honda, Nissan, Jaguar Land Rover and the many companies that make cars in the UK staying if we have to pay import duties into the EU.  And while Germany, with the interest they have in our car industry will want us in the EEC, I can not see France with Peugeot, Citroen and Renault, or Italy with Fiat and Alfa Romeo wanting us to export cars to compete with them. And for those who doubt this, remember the ban that France had against our beef even when the EU told them not to ban it.

3: America - Not only did the US vote in Bush the second, they did it twice.  And at the time of making this post, Trump is ahead in the polls to be president.  I would rather be closer to Europe than the USA (though I would prefer to be close to both) because of this.

When I get other ideas, I will post again.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment